Oversight of the American Burn Association application, program and verification
Oversight of the Burn Registry & Burn Registrar
Collaboration with Burn nursing and faculty on quality improvement, performance improvement, patient satisfaction
Community & Organizational Burn Education, Outreach & Injury Prevention
Subject matter expert on Burn Care & The Burn Program
The Vanderbilt Burn Center offers world-class care to burn patients of all ages. Our team is committed to the burn population by providing both physical and emotional support for patients and their families from the acute phase of care through discharge and beyond. Our team of staff members are welcoming, fun, team oriented, and committed to the care provided to our patients. T he Burn Center is a 23 bed unit: 8 beds are dedicated to intensive care. The remaining 15 are used for either acute care or intensive care. Our unit specializes in caring for a diverse patient population with complex issues in a designated Level 1 burn center that cares for patients from over a 600 mile radius. A few of the procedures a nurse may perform during a typical shift include IV insertion, drawing blood, in and out catheterization, hydrotherapy (wound care), assisting with chest tube, central line, and arterial line placement, using rotoprone beds, and performing CRRT
Vanderbilt Burn Center is staffed by physicians, nurses, therapists and support personnel including psychiatrists and a chaplain who work as a team to apply the most advanced technology and treatment methods possible. The staff also provides assistance in treating the emotional trauma of patients and their families to help our patients to lead a full, productive life. In addition, Vanderbilt Burn Center serves as a resource center for both referring facilities and the community, providing outreach programs, continuing education, and ongoing research to maintain state-of-the-art care.
This is primarily a day shift position with some travel and public speaking events with alternative hours
COMPLIANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
CONSULTING SERVICES (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate consulting services including appropriate knowledge of core technology, products, services and operations within field of work, in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Is aware of industry trends. Attends industry seminars and forums. Understands the connection between assignments and the missions and goals of the department.
NURSING PATIENT ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in patient assessment and evaluations in challenging and complex situations. Conducts primary care patient interviews and physical examination. Often takes a lead role in complex patient care situations. Possesses expert knowledge, training and experience to mentor less experienced peers.
SURGICAL EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of the equipment and related devices. Has solid knowledge of performance criteria. Able to use the equipment to accomplish advanced tasks associated with the specific devices. Easily resolves equipment problems.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.